12.05.2006

Paranoid

Every time I sign in to blogger I skip the whole switch-to-blogger-in-beta option thingie whatsit because I trust nothing, I fear change and am convinced that switching things will suck my blog into a giant cyberspace hole, never to be seen again. I'm probably overreacting though, right? Which is so totally unlike me. (Snort, snort.)

Ok, so I have some questions for those of you that know and/or own a baby around the same make and model as Ethan.

How much do they eat? Are they picky? Do you fear that they aren't eating or drinking enough? Do you go out of your way to offer a full spread of baby-friendly grub each day? Are you constantly offering snacks and drinks JUST TO BE SURE they aren't hungry and starving to death? Are you as out of your mind about this as I am???

See, Ethan is in the ninth (yes, that's 9th... NINTH!) percentile for his weight. He shot up 2 inches and his height is fine, but he's little. Not necessarily thin, but small. There could definitely be more rolls going on, that's for sure. His 12-month clothes hang from his body. His pants need to be rolled up at the ankle and rolled down at the waist. He's practically a midget, people! And since I'm weaning him, I'm even more concerned about his weight now.

I know babies go through growth spurts and then the growing slows, they become active and learn how to crawl or walk or whatever, and perhaps his weight was measured at a particularly active time, or something. I've been lightly buttering his veggies and offering loads of peanut butter, fruit, juice, whole milk, avocado, cheese, yogurt, and last night for dinner an entire tub of Crisco. (Ok maybe not really, but it did cross my mind.) It seems like all he'll eat is grilled cheese on whole wheat, french toast made with whole wheat bread, YoBaby yogurt, rice cakes, and freeze dried fruit cubes. It's honestly making me nuts. Oh, and sometimes D will give him a Dorito or two behind my back.

I just don't know what to do. I mean, I guess I'm doing all I can do, right? Making a variety of things regularly available to him? He'll eat what he wants? When he's hungry? It could be that he sees my concern and is rebelling. Maybe I need to pretend like I couldn't care less. It's just that I didn't expect the pickiness to start until he was at least two. Tantrums, too! The first time Ethan protested a diaper change by screaming at the top of his lungs and doing some sort of 80's dance move I was shocked. Like, what the hell are you doing, are you kidding me with this? DOES IT GET WORSE? Lie to me. Please.

When he's not driving me insane he's busy impressing the hell out of me. He does something new and incredible every day, and I'm starting to think he knows how to speak perfect English, he just chooses not to. I'm sure he knows French and Spanish, too. Maybe he's just mature for his age. Maybe he's a 3 year old trapped in an 11-month old's body. Yeah, that's it. So by 2 he should be solving algebraic equations and stuff, right? Crap. I better brush up on my math skills asap.

Yesterday's Grub

1/3 c. (dry measure) oats with 1 c. lo-fat cottage cheese, Splenda and cinnamon
coffee and Splenda

more coffee with Splenda
1 scoop whey protein in 1 c. 1% milk

3 egg whites plus 1 whole egg mixed with 1 T. basil pesto and red onion on a bed of romaine
1 orange
diet mountain dew
green tea

pear
2 lite string cheese
green tea

1 oz. mixed nuts
green tea

1 serving of Sara's Italian Beef & Pasta
steamed broccoli

Total cals: 1,605

Workout: Interval Max

2 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey, my good friend Kelsey went through this same thing her daughter. And she's FINE FINE FINE. Her kiddo was down below 5% in weight, but otherwise 50%-ish. As long as he's healthy, I would try not to worry.

By the way, Kelsey has a blog too:
www.mdwestmom.blogspot.com

In case you wanted to ask her about it. She's super approachable.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jadey said...

You crack me up - I dont have a baby let alone one the same make and model as Ethan. But stop fretting! I had the total opposite problem when I was a Nanny. I had a 13 month old boy who was too big for any car seats etc. The size of a 3 year old. But all worked out well in the end. They all even out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page