12.22.2006

Life Lessons

Ethan LOVED facing forward in his carseat. I went back and forth and back and forth with whether or not to turn it around, made a mental list of the pluses and minuses, and while there were many legitimate reasons on the TURN IT THE FUCK AROUND side, the only thing listed on the DON'T DO IT side was "because they say to wait another week". THEY don't have to travel for 7 hours with a 1-year old.

My plan was to fill up my tank and cash a check on the way out of town. Sounds innocent enough, right? What could possibly go wrong? At the bank: I cashed the check, got my little envelope full of money and started to drive away when I realized the teller didn't give me back my license. I backed up and pushed the call button. It seemed the lady was gone, there was noone at the window. I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally the lady came around the corner outside and up to the window of my car. She had locked herself out of the bank and was waiting for someone else to come unlock the door, someone that lived "Oh, a few minutes that way". Fuck ME! I tried to laugh it off and be all calm and joyful ('tis the season after all), but I could tell that my face screamed you idiot! are you fucking kidding me with this shit? I eventually got my license back and wished her a Merry Christmas and all that jazz.

At the gas station: Pumping. Pumping. Pumping. I decide to hold down the nozzle myself rather than use that little kickstand thing to make the gas pump as quickly as possible. Each moment wasted increases the chances that I'll have to pee again, Bogart will crap in my car and/or Ethan's head will explode. I notice that the total price for my gas is creeping unusually high. Pumping. Pumping. Pumping. Wow, I was really on empty. Pumping. Pumping. I look down to see gas pouring from my car, the shit had totally overflown. There was no click! It did not click! Isn't there supposed to be a click that actually stops the gas from pumping? Fuck ME! Money wasted, gas wasted. Fuckety fuckety fuck. I felt like a complete ass and pretended that gas gushing out around my feet was a totally normal part of the gas-getting experience.

On the road: 45 minutes into the drive I GOT.PULLED.OVER. for doing 59 in a 45. Today I will call the little number on the back of the ticket to claim my prize. Gah! The moral of the story is SLOW THE FUCK DOWN and BE PATIENT. I hope you all have learned your lesson.

Yesterday's Road Food

5 egg whites and a slice of whole wheat toast spread with 1 T. peanut butter
coffee and Splenda

more coffee and Splenda
an orange
3 oz. cold chicken breast strips (I LOVE COLD CHICKEN!)

2 lite string cheese
an apple

McDonald's Asian chicken salad with grilled chicken and lite balsamic dressing
black coffee

pure protein bar

1 oz. mixed nuts
green tea

Total cals: 1,345

Workout: 30 minutes step aerobics

3 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, that same thing happened to me once at a gas station. Only I had committed a serious No-No and gone inside to pee while the pump was pumping. And I returned to a major gasoline spill. I also just paid up and took off. I thought the other consequences might be worse.

Hey, I also wanted to tell you that Calum has been forward facing since NINE MONTHS OLD. Because I'm a terrible and totally irresponsible mom. But also because he's a big kid (already 30 pounds) and there was NO WAY I was paying $130 for another damn car seat which would only fit him until 40 pounds. But you know what? He's fine. And now it's all legal, so phew.

Glad you got home to your family safely. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!

And since Ethan is now so good at long car rides, you should come to St. Louis!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Just think, your Christmas HAS to get better. :)

I also got a "Merry Christmas, sucker!" speeding ticket this month, which almost made me cry, because IT IS THE FIRST TRAFFIC INFRINGEMENT I'VE EVER HAD. - IN 28 YEARS. And I was doing like 6km over the limit. And I really wasn't speeding on purpose, so that shouldn't count, right? *sulks a little*

Have a great break with your family, and enjoy Ethan's first Christmas.

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like one of my journeys!

One time a 2.5 - 3hr trip took us 20hours ! Yep 20! EVERYTHING that could go wrong did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page