12.09.2006

Groceries

I keep a standard grocery list on the computer that I refer to when writing up the shopping list each week. I tend to need many of the same items every week, and this makes it easy to put my list together and prevents me from forgetting necessities. Since I am completely OCD, ADD, AC/DC, ABCDEFG (label me what you will), I first write a rough draft of my list, then I might cross some stuff off here, add something there, decide to get beef instead of turkey, etc. When I'm finished editing my draft (why does that sound dirty to me?) I then write a final copy on a nice clean piece of paper and list the items in order according to the layout of the grocery store. (I know, who has time for that shit? Again, OCD, ADD, ABCDEFG...) On average we tend to spend about $70 a week. Is that excessive? Since you asked (haha), here's my list from today:

  • 5 apples
  • 5 oranges
  • 5 bananas
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 bags of red leaf lettuce
  • 4 sweet potatoes
  • 5 bags of frozen veggies
  • a bag of frozen whiting filets
  • 2 totinos pizzas
  • 1 box garlic cheese stuffed breadsticks
  • a bag of frozen tater tots
  • 6 oz. ready-to-use Tyson beef strips
  • box of Lipton cranberry-pomegranate green tea
  • 3 pouches of ready-to-use salmon
  • box of cheddar goldfish crackers
  • can of peaches in heavy syrup
  • can of Splenda sweetened fruit cocktail
  • can of mandarin oranges in light syrup
  • can of pineapple in unsweetened juice
  • pancake and waffle syrup
  • package of bacon
  • bag of cinnamon-sugar mini multigrain cakes
  • bag of white cheddar mini soy crisps
  • bag of cinnamon toast crunch cereal
  • 2 liter of diet pepsi
  • 2 liter of diet mountain dew
  • bag of sour cream and cheddar lays
  • 4 rolls of toilet paper
  • package of freeze-dried apple cubes (baby food aisle)
  • container of baby wipes
  • 2 1/2 dozen large eggs
  • 2 containers of 1% cottage cheese
  • 6-pack of YoBaby yogurt
  • 1 package of Frigo Light string cheese

All of this came to $72. It's not too much, is it? I must say that I'm kind of a cart snob. I pride myself in pushing around a cart full of fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats and minimal junk (all of which was for D, bless his slowly deteriorating heart). My cart could always be better, no doubt. But I am absolutely floored by the number of people that cram their carts full of nothing but frozen junk meals, cookies, sugary cereals, chips, sodas, ice cream. Not in moderation, either. That's ALL they buy. Nary a vegetable or piece of fruit in site. Poor lonely veggies! There there, sweet fruit! I will remain true to thee!

::

Since I'm, uh, human and stuff, I had my cheat meal last night instead of tonight. We weren't able to find a babysitter for tonight anyway, and we went to visit Drew's family last night and ended up staying for dinner. When D's mom brought out the eggnog and whiskey, I decided to indulge because I HEART EGGNOG so very very much! I'm still looking for a shirt with that printed across the chest.

Yesterday's Food

Hi-fiber, hi-protein french toast with sugar free syrup
coffee with Splenda

more coffee with Splenda

chocolate protein latte

2 iced sugar cookies (I made them myself! Am so very proud!)
carrot and celery sticks
3 egg whites plus 1 whole egg mixed with 1 T. basil pesto and onion
diet mountain dew

apple
2 lite string cheese

Free Meal:
lots of eggnog with Southern Comfort
a few swigs from a can of beer (could not bare to drink the whole thing, blech)
2 helpings of my MIL's broccoli-chicken-rice-cheese casserole
3 sugar cookies and a cuppa milk
a Snickers bar

Sound like a lot? I always read this when I feel like oinking.

Total cals: I have no clue. Lots, but that's ok.

Workout: 30 minutes step aerobics

3 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Oh, THANK GOD it's not just me who does that thing with the grocery list all in the 'right' order.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense...everyone else must be constantly back-tracking and wasting precious time. And you wouldn't want to lose a few seconds off your personal best, would you? ...Because grocery shopping is a competitive sport, isn't it?

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Jadey said...

I order my shopping list by order of the supermarket too! Otherwise you might go past something and have to do a rerun!

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always a mess when it comes to grocery lists. Is it creepy that I printed yours out and I may possibly use it today for myself?

:)

reese

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page