11.16.2006

War

My husband and I had a little tiff about religion last night. My beliefs don't fall within the parameters of any specific faith. I just believe. That's about it. I believe in a higher power and the greater good and living life to the fullest, helping your neighbor, loving your neighbor, not pissing on your neighbors flowerbed and all of that. I also respect what other people believe; just because I don't put my faith into any organized religion isn't to suggest that I think it's wrong or stupid or that all it's followers are going to burn in the eternal fires of hell, oh my! I just don't know. I'm more of a religious skeptic, more intrigued by the mystery of the unknown, and I don't need stories and crying statues to get me by. I believe, and that's enough for me. I don't want to package that up and put it in a nice little box with a bow on it and call it Fred. I really think that a person's relationship with whatever God they choose to believe in (or lack thereof) is extremely private. I love the idea of people gathering together to get in touch with their spirituality and acknowledging that there is something greater than ourselves, something more. But once you put rules and labels on it, and people get cocky, I am completely turned off.

My husband knew this about me when we met. At one point he agreed. It was never a big deal to me whether he had faith or not, whether he called himself a Christian or Catholic or a Baptist, as long as he could back it up and wasn't blindly following along just because and expected me to do the same. His beliefs are his beliefs, who I am to interfere?

We've both been raised Catholic, but I stopped going to church a long time ago. Now I'm struggling with the issue of how to introduce Ethan to religion, what to teach him, how to handle it all. Suddenly my husband is a Catholic again, and that's fine, but he's treating me like I'm the anti-christ and I'm not quite sure where it's coming from. I am fine with going to church. As long as it's not a cult, I am down. As long as they don't make me do certain things simply because if I don't the devil will fry me up with a side of eggs and eat me for breakfast, I am fine. Let's pray!

I am hoping to find a church that we both like. If D and I don't set a plan and find a middle ground it's only going to cause problems. Last night I turned to him and said countries go to war over this very issue, and people die. How anyone can say that they are right and you are wrong blows my mind, because noone really knows. I just want to raise Ethan to be a good person and to be open-minded. That's what's most important to me. I'm going to make my husband read this post, because that way he can't interrupt me. Sheesh.

Yesterday's Grubage

1/3 c. (dry measure) oatmeal
3x1 omelet
black coffee with Splenda

Sara's Stay Awake Shake:
1 scoop chocolate whey
1 c. 1% milk
1 c. black coffee
2 packets Splenda and ice

Blend until the mixture foams up so much it nearly takes over your kitchen, then enjoy with a smile.

3 oz. salmon with 1/4 avocado, onion and lettuce in a ww lo-carb wrap

green tea
1 c. cherries
2 lite string cheese

diet Barq's rootbeer, which I learned does not contain caffeine after I drank it, bah! Wussies.
small sweet potato with 1 T. trans-fat free margarine
steamed mixed veggies (asparagus and broccoli blend)
~5 oz. whitefish filet with lemon pepper and garlic

more green tea and a stick of sugarless bubble gum

Total cals: 1,360

Workout: 20-ish minutes of step aerobics first thing and a 30-minute stroller walk with Ethan later in the day

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Julie B said...

I'll have to try your coffee shake. I can't believe I haven't thought of that! I love caffeine. I was brought up catholic, then quit attending after my children made their first communion. We are now attending a Riverside Alliance-no denomination, very welcoming. At first it was shocking not to be sitting and standing and repeating the same exact phrases that I have been repeating during mass for the past 20 years. The music! Electric guitars and drums and such, and singing, singing singing. Best of all, my boys LOVE youth group. That is why we are attending. They are enjoying it. I can't believe I don't have to fight with them each and every week to attend. You'll find one you enjoy too, keep looking.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Religion is an issue in my house too. I suggest a nice Unitarian church near you - it's as close to a "believe, and be nice to other people" religion as I've found. I tried attending my husband's church a few times, but after the pastor announced that things like tsunamis and hurricanes where G-d's way of cleaning out sin and creating areas of mission work; we both rolled our eyes and haven't darkened the steps of this church again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page