11.10.2006

Ran-dumb

I got... (wait for it)... 9 glorious hours of sleep last night. That's 9, nine, N-I-N-E! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

::

We're thinking about renting The Island tonight. I've heard good things about it, but even if it sucks fat nuts there will still be lots of Scarlett deliciousness involved. Oh, and I think there's a guy in it, too. Watching it will not be time wasted if you ask me.

::

I have a question for y'all: how do you manage your stress? What do you do for you? How often do you set yourself some me time? Here I am, living in Louisiana. My husband works long hours, 6 days a week. I have no friends here. None. 90% of the time it's just me & E. That's all fine and dandy, but it gets to be a little stressful and a little lonely. Not really having anyone to talk to, except for you, my only friend, the Internet. (And maybe E!, but watching that for too long makes me think dark thoughts that we won't talk about here. That's another post entirely.)

Anyway, I'm going back to work in a few months and I'll actually have a life again, so things will work themselves out. But for now, at the end of the day, my shoulders are tight. I tend to clench my jaw. I sigh a loooooot. Sometimes my heart will pound rapidly, like when all I want to do is pee for the love of Christ and this baby won't let go of my ankles help me pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but when THIS IS YOUR LIFE day after day after day, it can be stressful is all I'm saying. And I need desperately to find a way to manage that stress. I used to unwind by smoking pot. Then I started drinking every night. I don't do either or those things anymore, and clearly I need to find a way to unwind that does not involve the use of mind-altering substances. At least until I'm finished breastfeeding. (Kidding, mom.)

So, what do you guys do? Maybe some of you are shaking your heads and saying to yourselves, damn, I don't have a way to unwind either. I hope not, but we are one stressed out, high-strung country and it just shouldn't be that way. I need suggestions. Knitting? Meditation? Taking a deep breath and counting to 10,000? Punching strangers in the face? Pouring salt on slugs? What works for you?

::

I forgot to mention that yesterday was the start of week 2 of project:tighten-that-ass. I'm feeling great and while my clothes are fitting more loosely, I'm anxious and ready to see some real results. It takes time and persistence, I know. I will keep on trucking. (I can do regular push-ups for the first time ever, and that is awesome. That is progress! Also, I can do bicep curls with 15-pound dumbbells now. WHOOt!)

Yesterday Grubage

South Beach wrap
black coffee with Splenda

1 pear
1 string cheese
coffee with Splenda and 1/4 c. 1% milk

Egg Salad wrap (made with 1 whole egg, 2 whites)

1 rice cake with 2 T. peanut butter

1 serving Basque Chicken
1 c. brown rice

diet rootbeer
1/2 a bag of light kettle corn (Orville's Smart Pop, it's freaking delish)

Total cals: 1,500

Workout: Active rest day

5 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Sara said...

wow.. blog spam! Who knew?
Ways I relax:
* Read
* Stretch
* Make stuff - you know, crafty stuff. It's a good time of year for it - xmas and all
* Sell stuff on trademe
* Go to C1 coffeeshop
* Experiment with new recipes
* Boogie to funky music
* Write

I think you should start writing a kids book. That would relax you AND make you feel accomplished AND involve Ethan. Remember it's ok to be a bit selfish sometimes. You are not on earth to be everybodies mum, just Ethans - and even he will grow up one day.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Debstar said...

Do you guys have PLAYGROUPS in USA???
It was my saviour. I was also involved in a breastfeeding group. I think its called La Leche in USA. Some church groups have new mums days. Helps with the isolation. You actually get to speak to REAL people

Just a thought from an OLD mum in Australia. Love that you're still breastfeeding. About the sleeping, it gets better......eventually.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I run. Usually 4 days a week. Sometimes I have no choice but to take Calum with me. But he loves the baby jogger (thank GOD) and we both get some fresh air.

I run not just to stay in shape, but mostly because I am (excuse the hokey-ness here) a better person when I run regularly. Without running in my life, aliens pop out of my mouth like Sigourney Weaver and devour my relationships with those around me. Ok, that's wierd. True, but weird.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Jadey said...

IS there a mothers Group in your area? Maybe that would help - they generally meet at least once a week and you would have some adult company and maybe make some friends.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Exercise, exercise, exercise! That does it for me. Or a bottle of wine. :p

Or you can use my husband's method - just bottle everything up for a few weeks until your head explodes and it all comes spewing out. Actually, I don't recommend that one....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page