7.11.2005

Puff, puff, pass...

Lately I've really been on D's ass to quit smoking. We both smoked when we met, and at one point this last year I quit while he continued to puff. I urged him to quit, too, but was secretly proud that I could quit and he couldn't, and I enjoyed telling other people that I QUIT when he would go to light up. After about 6 months, sadly, with my tail tucked between my legs, I began smoking again. I was up to about 3/4 of a pack a day when I learned I was pregnant, and I have not even TOUCHED a smoke since the two little pink lines revealed themselves on my home pregnancy test. I always knew I'd be able to quit in the blink of an eye if/when I got pregnant. The thought of my unborn child inhaling something so awful makes me shiver with disgust.

Now I'm nagging and bitching and moaning for D to quit more than ever. Not only do I not want him to smoke when the baby is born, and of course for the obvious health reasons, but because I AM DYING FOR A CIGARETTE. I won't light up. That's out of the question. But he needs to quit. I really think he should have quit with me. Perhaps he needs more time, and maybe he can take it because he is not growing our child inside of him, but GOOD GOD MAN... at least TRY! Am I being too hard on him? Expecting too much? Because in my mind, if I can quit, he can too. And I no longer bask in my glorious willpower, my ability to quit cold turkey. Now I'm just plain pissed that I had to give up my bad habit alone, and he gets to keep on puffing away. Growing up, we all had those friends with parents (or even our own parents) who smoked like chimneys. I so don't want to be those parents.

2 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Blogger Wildefrost said...

Oooh, tough call. I just quit 3 weeks ago, but I had to do it on my own. My boyfriend didn't pressure me to quit, even though he didn't like my habbit, but I think his silence about hatred toward smoking got to me more than if he had said "Lauren, quit smoking!". I think D needs to quit on his own, if he quits... maybe when he sees his baby for the first time, he'll change his mind?

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Disha said...

Are you sure that you want him to quit now while you are carrying pregnancy hormones? Let him have his soothing, though deadly, brain chemicals for now. After the baby is born you can make an obvious point that he wouldn't want to ruin your little bundle of perfection. Also, come up with outlandish rules for when he can smoke. The stars have to be aligned, you have to stand outside in a southeasterly wind with only a pair of boxers on. Also, all of our cash is going to diapers, we can't afford cigs, you will have to make them yourself. Link every single argument to cigs. Yell accusingly, You don't like my mother because you smoke!My husband broke down after only three months and quit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page