7.22.2005

Engaged Encounter...

This weekend D and I will be spending 7:30 p.m. tonight through Sunday afternoon at a workshop called, "Engaged Encounter". It's at a Catholic Renewal center a few towns over. It was suggested (read: REQUIRED) by the priest that is marrying us. We are supposed to learn important communication skills for our marriage from volunteer couples. The weekend ordeal costs $150, and I am SCARED for several reasons:

1- Neither D nor I are particularly religious. We are getting married in a church for the sake of my grandparents, to be quite honest. Not to say that we don't believe in a higher power, but we do not believe in any organized religion. Shhhhh!

2- I am over 4 months pregnant, and D and I have been living together for almost 2 years. This is frowned upon in the church to say the least. The priest that's marrying us knows and doesn't have a problem with it since we got pregnant AFTER we had plans to get married. But still... I think they just might tie me to a pole and throw hardcover Bibles at me. I shall pack protective clothing.

3- We will sleep seperately, in dormitory-style rooms, with at least one other member of the group. I have had nightmares of being kept awake all night long by the other women I'll room with. They'll bring out their Bibles and read aloud, occasionally breaking out into song and shooting my pregnant ass disapproving looks from across the room.

4- We must eat 4 meals there. 4!! 3 meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday. I'm thinking elementary-style cafeteria food. My baby will starve!

5- They've made it quite clear that we are NOT TO LEAVE THE RENEWAL CENTER FOR ANY REASON the entire weekend. I got a confirmation phone call last night from one of the volunteer weekend leaders. "Bring a snack to share with the group. Check in is from 6:30 - 7:45 p.m. Friday night. Bring bedding, you may have to sleep on the floor. If you forget something, the group leaders will be going to the store on Saturday morning. YOU MUST NOT LEAVE. We look forward to seeing you!"

I'm not sleeping on the floor. I'm not paying $150 to sleep on the floor! I'll use my pregnancy card in a heartbeat I will! And I kind of want to leave. Like, during a break, run to the corner store or something. Breaking rules, that's my game. I thought I'd outgrown this rebellious phase years ago. Alas, I still laugh in the face of authority and hate being told what to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page