2.13.2007

Wheeeeew!





Today was Ethan's first half day at daycare. I started to feel really, REALLY guilty as he happily ate his morning cereal bar and drank his sippy cup full of milk while watching his usual morning cartoons. I was at the computer checking my email and drinking coffee when I realized that he had no idea that in a matter of minutes we'd be driving to a strange place, where I would DROP HIM OFF and LEAVE HIM. I was a nervous wreck when we left the house at exactly 6:52 a.m. He'll think I'm abandoning him! He'll hate me. He will never forgive me. He will be so scared! I can't leave him. I really don't think I can leave him.
When we got to the daycare facility fifteen minutes later it was on and poppin'. Kids were everywhere! His teacher greeted us and held out her hands to hold him. She asked Ethan if he wanted to look outside, and he practically jumped into her arms. I said Wait! Give me a kiss! and I kissed his cheek and said ok, I'm leaving now. Bye-bye Ethan! See you later! and I braced myself for the hurt and the fear and the crying and the new found sense of betrayal. And it never came. Ethan turned to me, waved his little hand and said, matter-of-factly, "Bu-Bye!". Then his teacher whisked him over to the window to look outside and I slipped away, unnoticed and unmissed. WHAT THE HELL?
What a relief, but damn. At least fake a little resistance, ya know? Sheeesh. When I picked him up at noon they'd just finished lunch and were playing outside. Ethan saw me from across the play yard, gave a big toothy smile and said "Hiiiiii!". His teachers said he did amazingly well. First day down, and I imagine it'll be cake from here on out. We'll do another half day tomorrow, and then Thursday will be his first full day. It's obvious that he had a great time. When we got home Ethan had a snack, then practically begged to take a nap. He got excited when I asked if he was tired and wanted a nap, jumped into my arms and then dove head first into his crib. He snuggled up to his stuffed dog and told me to get the hell out of his room. Someone shoot me. Now. Quick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page