2.09.2007

Go Figure

I already had a few interviews scheduled for next week, ones that I was not excited about, ones that would have led to mindless, boring, dead-end jobs. Complete misery, doom, despair and zero job satisfaction. I was beginning to walk into these interviews caring a little less each time, not particularly giving it my all because really, how do you expect me to get excited about taking phone calls from angry long distance customers or logging boring, monotonous data into an Excel spreadsheet day in and day out? I'd had two interviews for jobs I was actually excited about, but I was turned down for one reason or another and things were starting to look grim.

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from an environmental consulting firm I'd applied to several (SEVERAL) weeks ago. I told them I was free to interview any day next week except for Monday and Tuesday, as I already had two interviews lined up that excited me about as much as having teeth pulled sans Novocaine. They said they understood it was short notice, but could I come in tomorrow? I told them sure and called around to find someone to watch E. After settling the arrangements I did some research on the company and found myself squealing with delight and stomping my feet with excitement because holy hell, this sounded awesome. A possible job with a company that stood for something I actually cared about? And the position was more of a career, not just another job that would leave me aching to bolt for the door at 5 p.m. each weekday?

I interviewed today with three engineers that I clicked with immediately. They were friendly, good humored, passionate about their jobs and obviously a great team. The more they told me about the company the more I considered doing a quick handjob under the table to speed up the hiring process. I wanted that job. I wanted to be a part of everything that was discussed. I could see myself working there, being happy, learning something new every day and absolutely loving it. Then they told me about the salary. (Would it be forward of me to hump your leg?) Then they told me about the benefits. (Can I buy you lunch?) Then they explained the flexible hours and the casual dress code. (I can do an awesome strip tease right here, right now on this very conference table!) We all shook hands and exchanged final pleasantries, and they said they'd been through several HUNDRED resumes but hoped to make a decision by Monday. I crossed my fingers and headed home.

I got a phone call 15 minutes into my drive home. They wanted me. THEY WANTED ME! They extended an offer and I told them thank you, THANK YOU, you've made my weekend! I got a job, y'all! I can hardly contain my honest, genuine, over-the-top excitement. I have never been so happy. I've definitely never felt this way about a new job. Can I bend my no-drinking rule long enough to crack open a bottle of champagne? Because this totally calls for celebration.

4 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Kek said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Congratulations! A birthday AND a fab new job, all in the same week? Wow, your life really rocks.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

That is awesome! Congratulations! Crack open that bottle! You can always sip and then spit!

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Woot! Go you!

That is more than awesome. More details please...
*waits expectantly*

X

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Erin said...

YAY! FOR YOU!! Wow! I am really excited for you & this job. The environmental field is full of awesome folks, let me tell you...

;-)

You really deserve this. You hung in there & kept looking even though the process was discouraging. Crack that red wine, girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page