5.22.2007

Gross, Yum, Help...

My big toenail fell off. I am horrified. I dropped something on it awhile back, then it was sore and turned a most flattering shade of indigo. Thursday when I was putting on my workout shoes I noticed that the nail was slightly raised, so OF COURSE I investigated and it just sort of peeled off. It was actually kind of cool, like for a minute. I held the detached nail in my hand and noticed that it looked like what I imagine a Lee Press-On Toenail would look like, all nice and painted pink. Then I looked down at my GIMP toe, the odd man out, the misfit. It kind of looks like a penis now, without the nail. Gah! Too disgusting. For some reason it was important that I share that with you all. You're welcome.

::

I LOVE salads! I've been having one for lunch each day at work, and I'm coming up with some rad combinations. They usually start with a bed of spinach and baby carrots. Today I added smoked salmon, red pepper strips, walnuts and raspberry walnut dressing. Another day I had the spinach and carrots with walnuts, tomato, chicken breast, and dried apricots. Sunday I threw together spinach, carrots, tomato, avocado, half a grilled red pepper, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and grilled chicken breast, with homemade balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. Oooh, and I found a really yummy lite honey mustard dressing by Newman's Own. Salads rock. We need to give them the credit they deserve. My husband throws together a little iceberg, a handful of cheese, real bacon bits and a whole lotta ranch and calls that his salad. We're like night and day, I tell you.

::

Things keep biting E. Sunday he was out in the yard with his dad and stood in an ant pile the size of a compact car long enough to get his entire right foot nearly chewed to the bone. Friday when I picked him up the teacher said that another kid bit Ethan on his hand, right between his thumb and index finger. I inspected and there was this tiny red circle with little teeth marks. I also learned that Ethan has been put in TIMEOUT a time or two. TIMEOUT! He's a freaking delinquent already! My worst fears are coming true and the child is not even two years old! Miss Susie told me that Ethan has pushed and hit once or twice, and that yes, they use timeout at that age. Now I think we should start practicing this at home, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Do we put him in a chair? In a corner? In his highchair, facing away from us? Every option is HORRIFYING! I told Ethan yesterday to just BE GOOD, don't misbehave so we don't have to punish you. See how that works? It would be so easy! You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours! Peaches and cream, baby! Perhaps I am way over my head here as a parent. Somebody throw me a life jacket! Hurry!

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Ah, I remember Time Out.... we used to stand them in a corner. Then, when we realised that Time Out wasn't meant to be just a punishment for the child, but a break for the parents so that WE WOULDN'T KILL HIM, we started putting him in his room. That never worked though - there are way too many fun things in a child's room.

So we started putting him in the bathroom (remove all bath toys first, of course). Bathrooms are pretty boring places, you know. At two, the corner of the living room might be safer though. Unless you're really into child-proofing.

They grow out of tantrums/hitting/biting or whatever eventually. At least most of them do. :)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Oh - the toenail? It'll grow back. But it may come back as an ugly elephant toenail,just like mine.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm having the same Time Out dilemma. I *know* it's time to institute this practice at home, but I am constantly saying, "not right now..." I just don't want to do it. But Calum's tantrums can be a royal pain and one day last week, he almost BIT ME. WHA? What happens to my sweet angel boy that he turns into a not-very-nice green ogre without any warning? I'll do Time Out if you do.

Glad you're back on the blog. I felt creepy, checking your blog to see if you'd updated. And then I started at actually worry. What if something happened to her? I'll never know! Anyway, I was happy to see you're all alive and well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page