4.29.2007

Sunday

Gah... it's only noon and we've accomplished so much today! It's warm and sunny. I woke at 6:30 am, fixed Ethan breakfast, did some cardio while Drew watched E (ahem, watched meaning dozed on the couch, waking up periodically to mock whatever Charlie and Lola episode Ethan was watching), showered, ate breakfast and chugged some coffee, then we all went grocery shopping, where we spent exactly eighteen million dollars and one cent, then D and I each chugged a calorie-free Xience, drove home, unloaded all the groceries, put everything away, fixed E lunch, fixed ourselves lunch, and I made some banana bread that is currently baking in the oven. It's a recipe that I got off the back of a Splenda box, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Every once in awhile I get these nutty urges to bake. I forget how much I enjoy it. Also, I love Splenda so much that if you lick me, it tastes sweet. And I'm calorie-free! Anyway, I also did some laundry and changed our sheets and everything is in order. Next we are cleaning up the yard and I will mow our huge lawn. Drew usually mows, but on Friday Drew was using a nail gun and accidentally shot a 3" nail through the bottom of his wrist. It came out the top of his wrist. He's on antibiotics and got a tetanus shot and is generally ok, but damn. It's disgusting. He said it all happened in a matter of 15 seconds:

-shot nail through wrist
-screamed like a little girl
-his boss ran to his truck to get some pliers
-his boss cut the top of the nail off
-his boss yanked the rest of the nail out
-blood sprayed like a sprinkler from both holes
-his mom rushed him to the doctor

I can't even imagine how I would have acted if that had happened to me. He was prescribed pain pills, though, so in his eyes it was well worth it. In fact, he probably shot himself on purpose so that he could stay home Saturday, pop downers and watch digital cable. Highly suspicious, eh?

Of course my last post talked about taking things for granted, so I feel strange telling you that we bought two big thick lean steaks at the store for dinner tonight, both of which are marinating in the fridge at the current mo'. We also finally caught up with the rest of the world this week and upgraded our expanded basic cable to the digital deluxe package and got a DVR. I feel very lucky to have all of these things. I do I do I do. I feel lucky to have a roof over my head and air conditioning and a car that runs and a good job and running water and my health and just everything. And I feel guilty for having 300 channels and a DVR. This DVR sort of freaks me out. It's just weird. It just seems wrong to be able to record t.v. and rewind it and fast-forward it. I kind of feel the same way about cloning. Maybe we shouldn't be doing it. Maybe we should just sit patiently and watch commercials. I want the good old days back. Anyway, when I started working we decided that we could each indulge in one luxury of our choosing. I opted for a gym membership. D opted for digital cable. Sounds like I got the sweetest end of the deal.

The very best part is that we now have FitTv, which airs workouts from my favorite video fitness guru. I am so stoked! I keep a running wish list of her dvds that I want to purchase, and now I can try before I buy. They're currently showing Push Pull, which is one of the weight workouts I've eyeing online. I know they edit things down slightly, but from what I've seen so far I think they just cut out her talking between sets and switching weights around on the barbell. I'm pretty sure the entire workout is still there. There are commercials, though, but I can fast forward through them with the creepy magic of digital video recording. (I know this is nothing new. I am probably 5 years behind on the times, technology-wise. I STILL DON'T HAVE AN IPOD.) Anyway! I'm really excited about having a handful of new workouts at my fingertips. Very nice.

I just completed 4 weeks of MIS, followed by two weeks of one day of MIS and one day of Muscle Max, making sure to use the absolute heaviest weights I could muster. Tomorrow I start 4 weeks of an upper body/lower body split, using Leaner Legs and CTX Upper Body. I'm pretty excited. I loved both workouts the first time around, and I'm anxious to see how much heavier I can go this time. If you're a chick and you're not lifting weights, START! Pick up a dumbbell already!

OK! So, I just finished mowing the lawn and it really sucked. I started getting all OCD with making a perfect square in each section of the yard and then hypnotized myself by watching it get smaller and smaller. I pushed the mower forward. I walked and pulled it backwards. Between mowing, cardio this morning, grocery shopping and putting all our goods away, and baking banana bread, I think I am quite finished with physical activity for today. Also, the banana bread turned out really yummy! It's soft, warm, and slightly sweet. If you see that recipe on the back of a Splenda box, make it. I wonder if I could have added a few scoops of whey protein powder to it? Would that have affected anything? Anyone? Sara? Kek? What has been your experience with adding protein to baked goods? We have some nanas left over and I will probably make another loaf when they start to brown... I'll add some vanilla whey and see what happens. Or would chocolate whey be better? Suggestions are welcome!

So, we've done a ton today and it's not even 2 pm. I am drinking an ice-cold Abita Purple Haze. It's my new favorite beer, along with Abita Fleur de lis. I'm not a big beer drinker anymore, but today it really hits the spot. The house is clean, there's good stuff on t.v., the lawn looks great, the kitchen smells like banana bread, I've got a little buzz from the beer... THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger Kek said...

God, yes - add the protein! Did I not send you my banana bread recipe with the whey added? *slaps forehead*

You have to experiment with quantities, because it kind of grows into a giant baked monster if you add too much. I'll go find the recipe and email it. Promise.

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Sara said...

No ipod??
*does not compute*
How do you live in such conditions?

Cooking with protein powder requires trial and error - the results vary with brand - it depends on the additives. Try replacing 1/4 of the flour with it for a start. One common thing is that protein powder invariably makes things stick to the pan, so you'll want to use baking paper or a nonstick pan. Remember that adding lowfat cheese, like quark (yum) or cottage cheese (ack!) is a good way to boost protein too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page