1.16.2007

Tuesday

For the last week it has been something ridiculous like 77 degrees here in Louisiana, and now it's in the forties. Don't get me wrong, I love cold weather. I just hate this back-and-forth shit. Do I wear shorts? Pants? Flip flops? Boots? Living in the dirty dirty South means having to keep your winter and summer clothing out year 'round. I was watching The Weather Channel early, eaaaaaaaaarly this morning (many thanks for waking up at 5:30, Ethan) and in the northwest they had been behind on snowfall by 19 inches, then suddenly in the last two days they're above average by over two feet. The weather is wack, yo. Wacky weather. And who's to blame? Is it a part of global warming, or did Mother Nature just forget to take her mood-stabilizing drugs for a few days in a row? Quick, someone offer her a double shot of vodka and an OxyContin so she will settle the fuck down.

::

Sunday night I made those Fiber One popcorn shrimp, and they were really good! If you try 'em be generous with the spices and maybe add some cocktail or hot sauce to them before eating, lest your shrimp taste like they were dredged in sawdust. I'll probably make more tonight. I also tried the new ham & cheese Eggbeaters this morning, and they're soooooo goooooood. Cooked a cup omelet-style, topped with a slice of 2% cheese and served with a cup of fresh strawberries. The breakfast of champions I tell you. Look for me on the front of a Wheaties box at a store near you.

::

Yesterday I had a job interview (it went really well, thanks for asking!) and had to leave Ethan with Drew's family. We arrived at their house and said hi to everyone (the kids were off for MLK day) (did you know that Drew has a 2-year old sister?) (and a 5-year old brother and another sister that's 15?), I offered him a snack and gave him his sippy cup, and the minute I put him down he totally lost it. He lost it like never before. You know how kids do that thing when they cry where they'll scream, then hold their breath for an extended amount of time while they work up another scream but it looks like noise should be coming from their mouth? Ethan let out a desperate cry as I turned my back and walked around the corner to get him a toy, and then there was silence. I figured he'd gotten over it. No. He held his breath for so long that I only thought he'd stopped crying. He held his between-crying breath for so long that he nearly turned blue. Breathe, baby. Ethan, take a breath sweetie! I told him. And then he let out the most horrifying shriek I have ever, EVER, EVER heard. The kid has lungs. (Future American Idol contestant? LET'S HOPE NOT.) I kissed him and hugged him and then stood dumbfounded in the middle of the kitchen while his grandma, great-grandma and aunt gathered around him to try and calm him down. They shoed me away, saying He'll probably be fine when you're G-O-N-E, hint-hint. I helplessly turned and left, and the sound of Ethan's pleading, high-pitched squeal for his mama continued until I had closed my car door. (That's mighty loud in case you weren't sure.) As I began the drive into the city, my mind raced: I can't leave him at daycare! He'll never forgive me. This will take years of therapy for him to get over. I AM THE WORST MOTHER EVER. And then my cell phone rang. It was Drew's mom.

Me: Hello?
MIL: Hey, ya hear that?
Me: I hear nothing.
MIL: Exactly.
Me: Gah, awesome. Thank you soooo much.
MIL: No problem! See? He's fine. Relax. It's only when you're around that he acts like that.
Me: Lucky me. I feel... better but also worse.
MIL: That's just how they are.

::

I increased the weight for my leg workout today, so now I feel all strong and muscle-y and buff. Rawr! I'm on my third week of the Pure Strength series and I can really tell that I've made some serious strength gains. (Perhaps that's why they call it pure strength, ya think? Genius!) After 4 weeks of PS I'm switching to Leaner Legs and CTX Upper body. Since I'm used to lifting 3 x week now instead of 2, I'll probably alternate the workouts so that one week I'll do legs twice and upper body once, and the next week I'll do upper body twice and legs once, etc. I fully, fully, FULLY intend to post before, 8-week and 12-week pics sometime after January 25. Rest assured that they are the most hideous pictures in all of picture history, where I'm wearing old boxers and some sort of old bra/sports top and my hair is a total rat's nest. Something to look forward to, for sure!

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.. did you get the job? And, what sort of job is it? Do you think you will have fun? Will you be able to sneak enough blogging time?

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the "less cursing" resolution is going so well. ;)

It's absolutely true that kids only EVER behave appallingly when one or both parents are around. And I'm sorry to tell you that it lasts for quite a few years. I dreaded doing fruit duty at kindergarten, because the minute you added Mummy to the mix, my angels turned into ill-mannered, pushing and shoving, whining spawn-of-satan. The teacher would always say "he's NEVER like this when you're not here".

That SO did not help me feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page