1.11.2007

Thursday

Several years ago this really weird thing would happen to me every once in awhile where I'd be doing some normal, everyday task like showering or folding laundry and suddenly everything would seem to be moving in fast-forward. That's really the only way I can describe it. My mind would race, I'd think to myself man, this is weird, and there was nothing I could do to make it stop. It happened again today while I was washing my hair. I took deep breaths, stopped what I was doing, tried slowing things down, but nothing worked. It's the most bizzare feeling, and I have no idea why it happens. Is it anxiety? A drug flashback? Who knows. Very, very strange. Maybe I'm just plain nuts. That's probably it! Indeed.

Ethan is quite the crankster today, and I suspect some teeth are sneaking in somewhere in that drooly little mouth of his. Also, I've mentioned before how the stench of his poop is from another world, unlike anything I've ever smelled before, but it seems to have gotten worse. I read somewhere that extra smelly poo is another sign of teething. When I set him on the changing table, take both his ankles in my hand and prepare to peel back the offensive diaper, it is truly like something out of a horror movie.

I need some baby-friendly meal ideas. I'm worried (of COURSE) that Ethan isn't getting enough iron. He hates meat and will only very occasionally take a bite or two, usually just to chew it for a minute and then spit it back out. I make sure he eats one container of YoBaby Fruit & Cereal yogurt every day because it supplies 45% of his daily iron requirement, but I still think he might be falling short. His tried and true standby foods are whole wheat french toast, whole wheat grilled cheese, cheese sticks, peanut butter toast and whole wheat toast with trans-fat free butter and all-fruit spread. He also eats chopped fruits, vegetables like peas, carrots, corn and string beans, and all the crackers and rice cakes and soy crisps in the entire world. If there is a cracker or rice cake shortage at a store near you, it's probably because Ethan ate them all. He drinks as much whole milk as he should be and the recommended amount of juice, but I really wish he'd be more adventerous when I offer him something new. (Heh, dream on mom, I know.) He used to love cubes of cheddar cheese and slices of avocado, but now those are, like, totally the most disgusting things on the face of the planet. Naturally. For those of you with wee ones in your life, what are some of their favorite foods? (Screw consulting his doctor, I'm asking the mighty Internet for help.) (Polishing that well-deserved mother of the year award now.)

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure my fussy toddlers lived on Barbeque Shapes and chardonnay..... Oh wait. That was ME. Oops. Long time ago, my memory fails me.

Isn't it bizarre how we get so excited when the little darlings actually EAT something we offer them. We feel like we're the cleverest parent in the entire universe and do the dance of happiness all around the kitchen. Or was that just me?

One of mine went through a stage where he'd only eat foods that were shaped like fingers - cheese sticks, fish fingers, fruit cut into strips, potato wedges. I went crazy with the knife, cutting all sorts of weird things up. They all loved yoghurt. And soft boiled eggs with toast "fingers" to dip into the yolk (they still love those) (so do I).

Can't really remember, but I DO know that they didn't starve to death AND they all eventually ate normal food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page