3.28.2006

13 Weeks...


Ethan was 13 weeks old on Tuesday. Monday night my sister Emily and I went to the Angelika to see "Capote" (which I loved, by the way, either because it was truly a great movie or because I was so just so happy to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE without having to worry about diaper explosions) while my mom watched Ethan. We left the house at around 6:40 pm to catch the 7:45 pm showing. I fed Ethan at 6-ish for a good twenty or thirty minutes. The tank was full. At 9:45 when the movie had ended, I called my mom to see how he was doing. She told me that he was hungry and would not take a bottle. Would not take a bottle.

::

This is something new. Up until now Ethan had gladly sucked on whatever dispensed some form of food to him. Now he has decided to be picky. Part of me loves that he only wants to breastfeed, and I know that we could very well have had the opposite problem: breastfeeding troubles. So many of my friends have said that they just couldn't get their little ones to latch on, or that their milk just didn't come in, or that they simply had no desire to breastfeed. I am so lucky and thankful that it all fell pretty easily into place for us. Besides my milk taking a day or so longer to come in than Ethan would've liked, we've been successfully nursing from the start. So while I love to breastfeed and I love that Ethan does, too, I'd like to get out of the house without him again at some point. And now I'm really kind of locked into a 3-hour window of escape. I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing that he's at home starving without me. You'd think that if he was hungry enough he'd take a bottle. But I've heard horror stories about women with babies that just WILL NOT take a bottle no matter what, and the babies go 8+ hours without eating until their mothers return with the goods. D and I are going out this coming Monday night while my blessed mother babysits again, so we'll give the bottle another shot. *fingers are crossed*

::

In other news Emily, Ethan and I went to the "Cry Baby Matinee" at the Angelika this morning. I've talked about going for weeks now, and finally we bit the bullet and actually went. It was awesome! There were 4 other mommies/babies in the theater: 3 girls and 1 other boy. I small-talked with 2 of the mom's as they entered the theater. They each had girls, 3 and 4 months old. All of the babies were suprisingly good... Ethan really blew me away. He watched some of the movie, nursed, pooped his diaper VERY LOUDLY, watched more of the movie and didn't start fussing until it was 3/4 of the way through. I walked to the side of the theater with him and he fell asleep with a few walks up and down the hall, so I didn't miss much of the movie. AMAZING! Twas a glorious experience. I just might do it again. I took great comfort in seeing the other moms in action. There was an understanding, a kind of silent sympathy if one of us had to leave the theater with our fussy babies. I will admit that a certain "stroller envy" came over me for a moment when I realized that I was the only one without a fucking TANK for a stroller. I thought I looked cool with my cute little ice-blue Jeep umbrella stroller until all the other mom's came in with their heavy-super-ultra duty carrier/stroller combinations. The feeling was similar to how I sometimes feel when I'm happily driving along in my black 2003 Cavalier and get caught at a stop light next to a new Lexus or something. But fuck it. My umbrella stroller kicks ass and I can fold it up, stick it in my trunk and go in a matter of minutes. *MY BABY WAS TOTALLY THE CUTEST ONE IN THE THEATER SO THEY MUST HIDE THEIR AVERAGE LOOKING BABIES BEHIND THEIR MIGHTY STROLLERS*

Sorry. *BUT IT'S TRUE. MY BABY NEEDS NO SPECIAL SUPER EXPENSIVE GEAR TO MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER ABOUT HIMSELF*

End rant.


We saw "Match Point", by the way, and it kicked ass. Scarlett Johansson (lips, boobs) and Jonathan Rhys (lips, eyes, BODY!) are sexy as hell. Delicious.

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger SuperNanna said...

Your freakin blogs crack me up girl! I live to read your blogs everyday. Your baby is soooooooooo cute!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page